Paramount Garments Goes Up In Smoke! Workers Blame Electrical Fault
Harare | Workers at Paramount Garments Works suspect that an electrical fault caused the fire which destroyed thousands of dollars of property.
The management has declared a state of emergency and is asking for donations of water, food and other necessities.
The fire started on Sunday night with workers seeing smoke, but they could not locate the source of the fire.
Firefighters arrived at the scene, but the fire continued to burn throughout the night and into Monday.
“We started by just seeing smoke, but we couldn’t figure out where the fire was coming from,” said one worker.
“We could smell that something was burning and went into the warehouse to remove some boxes, but the fire was not visible; all we could see was smoke.’
Another worker said:
“The Fire Brigade came and did all that they could, but nothing was happening up to a point that we were told to go home on Monday around 12 noon.
“Yesterday we came to work hoping that the fire would have been put out. We found the Fire Brigade trying their best to contain the fire.
“From what we observed, we think the fire was caused by an electrical fault because when we saw the smoke, we could hear funny sounds, but they were not that of paper or fabric. It sounded like electrical wires were burning.”
Another worker said the Fire Brigade suggested that they break down one of the decks as they suspected that the fire was coming from there, but the management refused.
For feedback and comments, please contact ZiMetro News on WhatsApp: +27 82 836 5828.